Gaston is currently elected member of the Executive Committee of the Eu-SPRI Forum (European Forum for Studies of Policies for Research and Innovation). He is also member of the Program Committee for STI 2017 – Science, technology and innovation indicators conference and Editor of the Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) Working Paper Series
- RESIDE (2014-2015) aims at supporting the implementation of EU Strategies in boosting demand for innovation in the refurbishment market.
- Regional Innovation for RVO (2014-2015) aims at understanding the technological, geographical and sectoral developments in collaborative innovation networks in The Netherlands.
- Research fellowship grant at the European Commission DG JRC Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS) in Seville where I contributed to the PRIME NoE on policies for research and innovation in the move towards the European Research Area (2006-2007). I also contributed to the ERAWATCH project providing analyses on national and regional research policies, actors, organisations and programmes.
Gaston Heimeriks has also been involved in the following research activities;
- Innovation in European Offshore Wind Energy (2011-2012) analysed the Technological Innovation System of European off-shore wind energy together with the Institute for Energy and Transport of the Joint Research Centre, (European Commission).
- Evaluation of MIA water (2014) was awarded by AgencyNL to evaluate the evolving knowledge base of the Dutch water sector using scientometric data
- The EICSTES Project (European Indicators, Cyberspace and the Science-Technology-Economy System, 2000-2004), funded by the European Union (IST-20350), developed indicators of how the Science-Technology-Economy system is being affected by the growth of the Internet.
- The SOEIS project (Self-Organization of the European Information Society, 1998-2000) brought together sociological and computer science expertise to understand dynamics of knowledge production in the Information Society. (EU TSER Project PL97-1296),
- Elected member of the Executive Committee of the Eu-SPRI Forum (European Forum for Studies of Policies for Research and Innovation”
- Member of the Program Committee for STI 2017 – Science, technology and innovation indicators conference
- Editor of the Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) Working Paper Series
- Invited expert for the European Commission, Directorate General for Communications Networks, Content & Technology (DG CONNECT), on the Analysis of Publications and Patents of ICT Research in FP7 (June 25 2014 Brussels)
- The NIAS Lorentz and Computational Science boards have awarded our workshop “Simulating the Social Processes of Science” held from 7 Apr 2014 through 11 Apr 2014 Applicants: professors Ahrweiler, Edmonds, Gilbert, Heimeriks and Scharnhorst
- Keynote at the OECD’s Committee on Scientific and Technological Policy on technology convergence (Paris, March 22, 2011)
- Member of PhD committee of Esther Ferrándiz León at the Departamento de Economía General, Universidad de Cádiz (SPAIN)
- Reviewer for EU FP7 SSH.2012.1.1-2 and the Swiss National Science Foundation
- Reviewer for Research Policy, Science and Public Policy, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Scientometrics, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Journal of Information Science, Cybermetrics.
- Member of the scientific committee for the international ‘Geography of Innovation conference 2014’ in Utrecht.
- Lecturer and member of the organising board for the international EU-Spri PhD summerschool on ‘Measuring the Dynamics of Innovation Systems’, Utrecht 2013
- Invited expert at “Research and Innovation Futures: Explorative Scenario Workshop” (14-15 June 2012, Berlin)
- Keynote at AWT conference on e-Science developments (Rotterdam, 22 April 2008)